Monday, March 23, 2009

Little Carter - Week 1













It is hard to believe, but our little Carter is one week old today! The last seven days have been a wonderful time of discovery for all of us. The little guy may have had me on edge for the first couple of days due to concerns about his jaundice and the resulting exhaustion from long feeding sessions while waiting for the milk to ‘come in’. But we are certainly back on track now. He is back to his normal birth weight as of today and is giving us more of a chance to sleep peacefully at night, but I’m still fighting the worry bug that the birth of your first child seems to instill in you. After I found myself unnecessarily waking at each hiccough and odd noise (of which newborns make a lot!) so I could watch over him for the first several nights, we got smart and put Hunter on the side of the bed where the cradle is located so I don’t have as much opportunity to drive myself crazy. Last night was the best yet – all three of us went to bed at the same time, I woke him for feeding sessions instead of him waking me, and he went back to sleep without much fanfare after each feeding – yeah!!


We’ve had four grandparents here visiting this week and countless pictures taken of the little ‘boy wonder’ (as one of his onesies says). Thanks to all of you for your help!!


As the weather has been getting nicer, I’ve enjoyed getting out for short walks down the road. I absolutely love carrying him in my shirt pouch, but since it was warmer today, we tried the Maya wrap for the first time – it is very soothing for both mother and baby to have such close contact and it is fantastic to have the use of both of my arms instead of only one.


After such an incredible week, we are anxious to see what week #2 will bring. I am certainly excited that my exercise restrictions of not going up/down the stairs and of not driving will be lifted. However, we may not start taking Carter out for visitations for another 2-3 weeks at the pediatrician’s suggestion, but are happy to have periodic visitors here at home.

Thank you for all of the well wishes – we’ll write more next Monday, if not sooner….

A link to a few of the photos taken at the hospital before we left…..http://www.our365.com/NewbornPortraits/BabyDetail.aspx?birthid=71ed73e0-46a8-4c32-b8b0-fe41176929ef










No comments:

Post a Comment