Thursday, August 20, 2009

It's tough to stay crunchy.



Carter is now 5 months old! Whoa! You mean, I've been doing this daddy thing for 5 months already? That can't be right. Does having a kid turn up the time-speed dial to somewhere between "blur" and "warp"?


The title of the post is an inside joke that I should explain. Some friends of ours who also attended our birthing class liked to refer to people who care about the environment and act accordingly as "crunchy". Not sure if they just made that up, or heard it somewhere, but somehow it seems to me that the term fits really well. Now that we're growing and selling local produce at the farmer's market, I would proudly suggest that we are "crunchy" people...


We're also using the cloth diapers, so that we keep Mother Earth happy and reduce waste going to our local landfill. And I'm more than happy to be doing that, 99.9% of the time. The other .1% of the time is when I am changing a diaper that is a giant mass of poop. Other folks just have to worry about removing poop from the baby. When I'm done with that, I must also remove poop from the diaper. Though at least the diaper doesn't fight with me and try to stick it's hand in the poop while I'm cleaning it off.


Still, sometimes I wish I could throw an occasional diaper in the trash. Faced with smelly feces in the future, I fear I may go stale and lose my crunchy-ness completely.


Enough complaining! Let's look at the world from a new perspective!


No matter how bad a day Carter is having, turning him upside down will almost always result in a smile. Other things he loves.... well he likes us alright, but he really LOVES Pogo.

But when Carter's done playing with the dog, he has to go to work like all the rest of us. Here he is at the office, at a little outfit I like to call "Starship Command." Listen to him issuing orders to his subordinate officers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment